Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Any chance on loosening this? Radiator knocking and leaking.

Options
Craigs
Craigs Member Posts: 24
Hey all,

So I have a radiator that is mounted under the kitchen sink. It has fallen through the bottom platform of the cabinet, and partially on the floor. So I need a resolution here.

1) I can completely remove the radiator from the heating system. I have this fitting I am trying to loosen, but even with a 18" crescent or pipe wrench, and putting the PB blaster to it over and over again, it won't budge. My next step is to apply heat with the torch and try again. Picture of the fixture included.

2) I can try to lift the radiator inside the cabinet, but it's a pain, Pipes all in the way, etc. They really crammed it in there.

3) Can I plug the vent, so not much heat goes to it?

4) Tried closing the valve completely, but it still makes it through.

Oh, of course this is the closest radiator to the system, but at the end of the whole main piping. the run from radiator to boiler is about 5 feet, but on the end of the whole main loop. It is the smallest however, just crammed into a tight spot. Of course with it being out of level, it's knocking like crazy. And the steam from the vent gets everything moist in the cabinets near the radiator. Swells the drawer, everything. PITA!

This one as much as I try to turn it off is loosing water somewhere, oddly that I can't see, and leaking it down over the sill, and causing the auto fill to run occasionally. It removed about 1 cup of water every 4 hours or so it's on.

My "You got steam heat" book says the connectors will crack easier than loosening, so should I try and crack one of the elbows instead and plug it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Union should loosen easily

Unions are usually the easiest fitting to get apart. However, if you are not used to swinging the wrench, you might be turning the wrong way. I would think that your wrenches would be big enough. Put your pipe wrench on the big ring in the middle of the fitting. If you put the wrench handle to the right, you are going to pull on it. Put your crescent wrench on the portion of the fitting above, and push just enough to balance, or backup the pressure that you are applying with the pipe wrench. If it does not immediately come loose, I would apply heat with a torch. Heat ONLY the center ring. This will allow it to expand and make it easier to turn off the other fitting.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.