Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How To Pitch the Vent?

Options
Hi Guys,

I think this is going to be a really dumb question, but wanted to ask before I break something. I am planning on adding some larger vents this weekend. People have given me the great recommendation of moving the vents back from the elbow (they are just mounted on a tee now). I drew a quick schematic of what I want to do, shown in black. But, if the blue pipes are held together at 90 deg, and I plan on tapping into the top port of the tee, then how can I pitch the pipe I plan to add? Do I just brute force it with a hanger?

The pipe coming from the left, in blue, does have some pitch to it, so it is possible that when I use the tee and extend nearly parallel to the pipe on the left I'll end up with pitch. But it is also possible that the person that installed this made the down pipe vertical by bending the long pipe coming in from the left. If that is the case then I need a back up plan so I can pitch the pipe to the new vents. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Use a level

You may find it has to go off at an odd angle to get some pitch, you just need a little to get the water flowing the right way.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    Options
    Swing 90's

IMHP I would add a swing 90 at the first fitting above the Tee.  The first 90 installed would point perpendicular away from Tee; add short nipple then 2nd 90 pointing parallel to main.  Then your long pipe can swing up somewhat.  I think this also adds a little more resistance to water hammer hitting the vent.  Any opinions on that?
  • McSwiggin
    McSwiggin Member Posts: 37
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Swing 90

That makes sense to me. I created a sketch, looking at the top, front and side view. Is this what you mean?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,063
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Double swings

That's it I believe; I think the long horizontal venting pipe could be pitched quite a bit and then add the second swing 90 ell at the vent to keep it plumb.  This lets you pivot the entire assembly in any direction for add height.  Also I have added a Wye strainer just under the vent for protection from dirt. (This was on a 100 year old system as most are).  If you are doing an antler build up then a union just under the strainer lets you remove the whole unit for maintenance.  Anyone else on board see any issues with this? I just get ideas don't always know for sure if it all makes sense.  I read more than I actually do the work. (For me it actually saves some unnecessary work)
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    or add a 45 elbow into the mix

to get the pitch
This discussion has been closed.