Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water feeding and then water hammer

Options
Hi! Having the same issues in 2 different buildings. 1st is a 4 story with a smaller boiler, 2nd is a larger 6 story with much larger boiler. Both of them, soon after the boiler kicks in, the water in the glass starts going down, which in turn triggers the auto water feeder to kick in, although I'm pretty sure there i still enough water in the system. I'm assuming the return is slow to come back to the boiler? And if that's it, then how to treat it? i know the setup for the smaller building offhand and most of the return lines are below the boiler water level.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Water

If the water disappears soon after start-up, you most likely have an improperly piped boiler, or dirty water. Any pictures of the systems?
  • tuli
    tuli Posts: 8
    Options
    pics

Will try to get back there today to take some pictures
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Most of the returns below water line

What about the ones which are not?

If you have a horizontal dry return within pressurizing height of the boiler waterline, then as the pressure rises, and water is forced into the returns, which hold a lot of water. This return could be far away..

This could also be the result of overzealous chemistry in the boiler, causing frothing. Keep the froth in Starbucks, and use pure water instead, unless there is some proven bad water problem.--NBC
  • tuli
    tuli Posts: 8
    Options
    Pictures of the boiler

Went back to get some pics. Also checked and there are no horizontal returns above boiler water level at all. Any ideas what can be causing it?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Slow returns?

Valve off the feeder, and check the pressure as it steams. After it shuts off on low water, turn the boiler off and time the return of water.

There may be a blockage in the returns. Are there any chemicals in the water? Does it look clean in the sight-glass?--NBC
This discussion has been closed.