Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Double Header

I bought a 3-family home that used to be heated entirely by a steam boiler. I quickly put an end to that and now only my apt gets steam.  I had two firing tubes taken out.  The prior plumber only utilized one port and sweated 2" copper into a 3" iron riser which then goes into a monster 4" iron header (which is 27" above the top of the unit).

I seem to have wet steam because the radiator vents spit water once in a while.   I would like to get rid of the copper and utilize both ports with iron.  However, the manner in which I will utilize the two ports and connect into the 3" riser which I suppose is substantially similar to the manufacturer's recommended specs for a header (if I can ever find what New Yorker recommends).  The new header would be about 10" below the current header.. 

Suppose I just made the 2-port 2" iron connection a bona fide 3" header that taps into the wet return while the dry steam goes up to the 3" riser and into the 4" header.  Is there a problem where I tap into the wet return (before or after where the current header taps in)?  I thought of having busting an elbow on the Hartford Loop and installing a T so both headers would empty  into the same spot of the wet return, but am afraid that they may somehow communicate with one another and bind the system between the two headers. 

Any suggestions for a homeowner who loves steam systems?   

Comments

• A drawing is worth a thousand words

If you have now cut off 2/3rds of the radiation from the boiler, it will be very oversized, and may short-cycle to the detriment of efficiency.

Was this modification suggested by your fuel company?--NBC
  • Peter Rozano
    Peter Rozano Member Posts: 17
    Double Header

removal of the firing tubes was suggested by my plumber.  I knew going in that the boiler would be oversized but it is way more financially efficient to keep it rather than replace it.  What do you think about a double header? 
This discussion has been closed.