Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Non-Standard steam shut-off valve?

Options
I have a 1-pipe steam radiator system. I'm trying to replace a leaking shut-off valve. However, it appears the valve is not a standard size.

I took off the radiator (easy), have not taken off the shut-off valve yet

(work-in-progress because so far a 24'' pipe-wrench with a 12'' cheater didn't do the trick...ugh..)

Before I even re-try removing the shut-off valve, I purchased a 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 inch shut-off valve from home depot. Neither seem to fit the radiator. They are either just a tad too big or a tad too small. So, I'm thinking the shut-off valve I have is a non-standard size of 1-3/8.

Now... I've looked EVERYWHERE and cannot find a replacement valve to fit that size. What should I do! Any suggestions would be awesome.

P.S. I've looked all over for a reducer/adapter and cannot find either of the two....

Comments

• steamedchicago
    steamedchicago Member Posts: 72
    Options
    you've removed the spud?

A valve consists of three parts, the main body, the short threaded piece that goes into the radiator, and a nut that holds the spud into the valve.  The threading on spuds, and the mating surfaces, are not generally interchangeable.  If you're trying to fit the new valve to the old spud, it's not likely to work.  (You might be able to find a compatible replacement, but not likely at the big box store, unless that's where the other came from.) 

You'll need to remove the spud from the radiator.  That's a rather large pain.  Search the Wall, there's plenty of discussion about how to do it.  Once that's out, you can put the new spud in.

Also, there's usally some part of the thread sticking out, you should be able to measure, and figure out the size.  It's usually the pipe size feeding the valve....
This discussion has been closed.