Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Manifolds

Options
djohn
djohn Member Posts: 93
After 5 years from the last complete system install, I am looking for manifolds for my own install. So far I have almost exclusively used RHT stainless steel manifolds and have never really been let down by them. I like the temp gauges. Flow gauges get hazy and dirty with time. Vents are manual only. Not bad overall though, for the $$

I noticed that their current offer has different design of flow gauges and I am not sure I like that (they install in line with pex)

One of the main decisions would be stainless steel vs brass (or nickel plated brass) - what is better in your opinion and why? Is there consensus on that? 5 years ago I remember pro's and con's on both sides, went with SS.

I would like to have integrated temp gauges, flow gauges and air vents and it looks like Caleffi makes manifold like that, but only in 1-1/4" size, which is weird. I plan for 1" piping in my system so I would have to use adapters before manifolds.

Then there is Rifeng, which is priced about the same as RHT and is half the price of Caleffi. Chinese? Good reviews though.

So, RHT or Rifeng? Or Caleffi worth the $$? Or yet something else?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    edited December 2013
    Options
    biased opinion

The Caleffi S1 manifold is available in 1" connection. I believe the gauges and wells that fit into the ball valves are still available, I'll check tomorrow.

We removed the gauges as standard equipment as contractors told us they prefer digital, dual gauges, like the Azels.

No other manifold has all these features, 3- 13 ports, pre-mounted, tube pockets, great fittings. Also a choice of 3 actuators including the new low current draw 250mA. (6 per 40VA transformer) the TwisTop is very popular with the manual open feature.

Flow gauge will cloud if the system fluid is dirty, regardless of brand. Flush, clean, and add an inhibitor and they stay clean.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • djohn
    Options
    temp well

I really wish you left at lest the temp well in place for 1" model - your website indicates that just 1-1/4" model has temp well and temp gauge. It couldn't be THAT much more production or logistics cost.

Thanks for info on Azel - never thought about using digital temp gauge for this application. Have read mixed reviews on dependability though.

I know Caleffi is whole another level from RHT and Rifeng. Just want to make sure that I can justify the price. Will be using 6 and then probably 7 and 8 port model (1")
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Azel

I have had good luck with the Azel temperature gauges. It's best to power them with 24V from the zone control. The batteries eventually go and then they loose function .

The cool think with the ∆ T function on the Azel is you read the flow rate from the flow meters and use the BTU formula to see exactly how many BTUs are being delivered to the loop, or entire manifold.

it's a good way to confirm energy transfer and for troubleshooting.

So good basic manifold reading here, including how ∆P circs work with zoned manifolds.

http://www.caleffi.us/en_US/caleffi/Details/Magazines/pdf/idronics_4_us.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • djohn
    Options
    temp gauge

Hot Rod, can you confirm whether I can get the 1" version with temp gauge well and temp gauge? With a separate valve/well body maybe?

I found this model (6686F5S1A) at Pex Supplyhttp://www.pexsupply.com/Caleffi-6686F5S1A-1-TwistFlow-Manifold-6-Outlets

and as you see, the picture might be misleading.

Other than that, Azel looks like something I would be willing to try out. Whether the readout is analog or digital, it comes to the same thing - as you mention - tweaking the system based on deltaT.
  • djohn
    Options
    Caleffi

After much thinking and budget squeezing, I am leaning towards Caleffi solution, but need to clarify which method would work better with 1" boiler piping:

- 1-1/4" Twistflow manifold (that has temp gauge well) + 2 analog gauges + 2 bushings or adapters (1 to 1-1/4")

- 1" Twistflow manifold (no well) + 1 digital Azel gauge

- or is there 1" version with temp gauge well that I am not aware of?

Are there better or comparable systems in similar price range?
  • djohn
    Options
    hot rod!

Hopefully Bob will read this soon :)

So upon closer inspection, Twistflow manifold doesn't have the sensor wells, but just plugs on front and back of manifold's valve assembly. Manifold looks awesome installed, I have to admit.

I haven't taken it out yet, but it looks like eitther 3/8" or 1/2" NPT. It looks like matching Caleffi brand temp gauges come with wells... the only thing is that I have Azel temp gauges waiting to be installed (per Bob's advice :)

Bob, is there any way you could send me 6 sensor wells or at least direct me to proper part numbers? (cheaper than complete temp gauges, I assume)
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    temp gauge for pipe

HotRod I watched one. of the YouTube videos on the manifolds... Do you have a link or manufacturer name that makes the snap on style thermometers you'd demonstrated in the video. That look sweet... I cannot find much in my area of the world so I need to source a lot of this type of thing myself. Sorry if I slightly hijacked this thread, but I figured anymore interested in manifolds would like that little temp gauges.
  • djohn
    Options
    caleffi

Them snap on thermometers are Caleffi brand (Hot Rod's employer) and the part # is 675900A 675900A 675900A675900A 675900A
  • hot_rod
    Options
    is this the valve

you have on your manifold? With the Caleffi C logo?

A 6mm allen wrench removes the plug. The well, with a 16mm hex, screws in with an o-ring seal.

I tried an Azel sensor and it fits loosely, I would coat it with some transfer grease for accurate readings .
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • djohn
    edited January 2014
    Options
    plug

Hi Bob,

It looks like 3/8" thread. And it is the plug  - when I remove it, it creates a hole :)

So what I need is a well/pocket that would house Azel sensor. At least it looks like it. Azel mentions both 1/2" and 3/8" pockets.

Feel free to email me too. Thanks!

Edit: Pics!
  • hot_rod
    Options
    the well

that fits that hole is a part # R31627, the o-ring# is R67037.

I checked and the Azel sensor does fit inside the well. I would coat the sensor with transfer paste for best reading.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • djohn
    Options
    parts

Hi Bob,

Is there a way you could ship them to me from Milwaukee? I found them only at 1 place, with some crazy shipping charge (more than parts)