Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

alternative endurance flow switch

I have replaced numerous flow switches on the EBP Endurances, the new and old style, and they fail again after a few years. I want to mount an exterior one, maybe a paddle type, and but have a hard time finding ones that have a max gpm of at least 5gpm. The switch would need to trip when the recirculating pump comes on also. Any suggestions other than continuing to use Larrs.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,791
    what fails?

the actual switch, or are the paddles getting eroded away?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 904
    Great question Hot Rod

Huge difference.

I have a few of these units out there about 4-8 years in service and no switches all on public water. I am curious to know why this happening to you.
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    switch

Is that basically the same switch as the Trianco heatmaker  used?

If it is - it really isn't a flow switch but a pressure differential switch.
  • rayplumber
    rayplumber Member Posts: 8
    Solution

The older style flow switch used a "reed" style switch to close when the magnet went up under water pressure. I used a reed switch from an alarm door contact--had to whittle it down--to replace the factory one. I think the internal heat of the Endurance was too much for this electronic piece. I have also moved the whole flow set up outside of the boiler. Similar to what the newer ones do. Works now, so we'll see if location makes a difference. I also moved the pump outside the boiler on two of these boilers and haven't had call backs since. Thanks for the input!
This discussion has been closed.