Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron or steel oil burner?

Options
Handygirl
Handygirl Member Posts: 3
 I'm shopping for a new burner and have learned much from this forum.  I'm confused as to whether cast iron or steel is better?   I understand a 3 pass design is very efficient and will need an indirect water heater.  Through the years having enough hot water on demand has been in issue in this house.   I've learned that many of these heating units are very good and best bet is to hire a very capable contractor to install it.  But, iron or steel???

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Boiler

Steam or hot water?
  • Handygirl
    Options
    Boiler

System is hot water
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    CI

The only steel boiler I would consider is an EK,go with a 3 pass CI,something like this
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i think maybe ,...

you mean boiler..

If so you should not be afraid of any of them ,

And , the question of field side is equally as important as the boiler , because i can have the most efficent burner , efficent boiler on this planet ,Yet if the field side is one type of emitter or 6 or 7 your tin can will suffer far more costs in add on parts and pieces just to begin to preform up to standard.

control strategies of emitters is another huge item ,...

that is my honest thought on this .

Weezbo *~//:)
  • Handygirl
    Options
    Weezbo

You are correct in stating I meant "boiler" and not "burner".  The rest of your post has me completely confused.???   
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited December 2013
    Options
    Ooops...

Ok i appreciate what you are saying .

it was my fault in not reading your post , thoroughly.

i misunderstood and thought you were into this road game and were asking to benefit your choices in the future .

Basically ,

when one makes a decision , the colour should not be your over riding concern .

Hydronic heating systems are a part of an entire picture .

A home deserves your best effort so do not be reluctant to use a boiler that most closely addresses the entire picture .

Not all boilers can satisfy every requirement without substantial investment in what might be considered "Support" parts and pieces .

Even with these pieces , their control strategy on the overall picture may not be the last word on the subject.

Even the best boiler is chosen , piping arrangement and parts selection along with electrical controls also play a large part in the overall completed picture.

is something of a superficial translation of what i replied.

now let me add , if you are a homeowner or a general contractor for a weekend ,

micro engineering what we do is very poor investment in your time .

sidewalk supervising , or sudden changes in building designs or types of emitters after the fact as it were , is or can be very expensive .

*~//: )
This discussion has been closed.