Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cast iron hot water baseboard

joe amadio
joe amadio Member Posts: 41
I will be installing some cast iron baseboard on a job in the near future. I am leaning towards using monoflo tees off a 1" main loop to feed each room. Mainly because I want all the rooms to heat as evenly as possible. My main concern and question is that in two of the rooms I can only access one side of the new baseboard with the supply and return lines. To get to the other side of the baseboard I would have to rip up the flooring. So can the supply and return piping connect on the same side and then on the other side just loop the two tappings together? I remember seeing this on a job one time. Will the entire run get hot or just the first few feet where the feed and return connect? Am I limited to a certain length that it will work? Will I get more flow if I set it up as a loop system? The customer really likes the idea of cast iron but will not rip up the floors to access both sides. I will be using Governelli baseboard.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,768
    edited December 2013
    Even heat

you say . Then use a manifold and run homeruns to each room . Monoflo adds too much head to a system and the rooms don't heat as evenly as everyone thinks . With the manifold you can adjust the flow to every piece individually and really do a sweet job . Probably for less time and material also .  What baseboard were you thinking of also .  Why Cast iron ?  Why not this product I linked , made for 5 different piping configs within the baseboard and it's low temp , gonna cost competitive with cast iron maybe a bit less . If Heating Edge is not an option I see no reason why you cant pipe it the way you are thinking . But forget the Monoflo piping , it's just such a worse arrangement than all you have available to you . http://www.smithsenvironmental.com/html/he.html
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
This discussion has been closed.