Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pex and homeruns

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
when I took a class the inspector said pex could only be used if using a homerun system,i am talking about domestic water.Now all I see is pex with fittings cut in similar to a copper install.When you look at the inside of a 3/4 pex 90 it is similar to a 1/2 copper fitting.Is there a significant pressure drop if you dont use a homerun.I would rather use copper but its getting harder to compete with pex prices.Thanks

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    edited December 2013
    Jonny 88 ,

you can use branch or you can use home run , and believe it or not you can use a three dimensional system or a continuous loop in potable water ... hot and or cold.

Weezbo

each has its fortes . and as for pressure drop the continious loop brings a new dimension , imagine if you took and connected your last fitting in a branch to the last fitting in another branch ...With two T's then , if one wanted water (The valve was turned on )

it would avail itself from the nearest available water and highest pressure so, that means not only is there no noticeable difference you exceed code . Because..

you have TWO supplies to that fixture or two places to draw pressure and the volume of two independent supplies as it were means that the customer will notice less of a change even if Both of the fixtures are turned on at the same time.

because of their flow rates through the faucet..
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    pex is smaller inside

than copper for the same trade size. There are pressure drop tables available from the pipe mfg.s You can get in trouble if you just use 1/2 and 3/4 pex like it gave as much water as copper. I often have 1" pex mains where 3/4 copper would do but for the price and time.