Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Pro in Westchester County, NY

Options
Hi All,

After striking out with 3 'heating' experts who are 'familiar with steam' I need to know if anybody has found a good steam guy licensed in Westchester County, NY.

I have tried the find a contractor and they come back with contacts who are located in the Bronx, Brooklyn or NJ. Unless you are licensed in Westchester, you can't do work in Westchester.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    Options
    would you mind describing the heating issue

you are facing?
  • Mark_125
    Mark_125 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    Issues

I am currently living with

1. Oversized, aging boiler

2. resulting in high fuel bills

3. improper near boiler piping

4. resulting in wet steam

5. whistling air vents

6. overheating

I have a 1200sqft colonial thats heated by steam with a 300sqft addition heated by hot water. September to April usage is about 1000 therms.

Steam is produced so quickly that all of my vents whistle the longer the cycle goes on, I have set my pressuretrol as low as it will go.

I have balanced the system the best I can, but as it gets colder, the cycles last longer and the bedrooms get warmer so I have to go around and change out the valves for slower ones. I am considering some TRVs that might address that.

I have my Honeywell thermostat set for 2CPH
  • RDSTEAM
    RDSTEAM Member Posts: 134
    Options
    Get the book

You can take a whack at it yourself by buying a couple of dans books. First you need the EDR book which will tell you if your boiler is sized for the amount of radiation in the home. Now if the rads are oversized, there are a few little tricks that can be done to cut back on the amount of heat output they produce (however, this will not change the square feet of radiation which is what you will use to size your boiler correctly). Once you got that squared away, you can tackle other things such as boiler piping, venting and pressure setting. Good luck and were here to help.
This discussion has been closed.