Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Skimming Weil-McLain EG-55 Steam Boiler

Options
Would like to skim my EG-55 steam boiler.  Read instructions and am not clear of process.  Could you please explain to me in detail.  Thank you so much!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Skimming techniques

First locate the skimming port, which you will see identified in the boiler manual (available online)

This should have a valve on it, and basically is used to drain oil off the surface of an elevated waterline. The boiler is filled up to that level, and the water feed vale almost closed but not quite. The skimming valve is opened up with a bucket underneath, so that a trickle of water comes out. Over the space of several sessions of several hours each, the oils will have been cleared form the surface. This a very essential step in the installation of a new boiler.-NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,743
    Options
    Skimming

This is a short video I made of skimming my EG-45.

Basically the way I did it was turn the thermostat up high enough to make sure the burner will stay on, go down and hit the switch on the boiler to turn the burner off and start filling the boiler SLOW. Once its near the skim port fire the boiler back up and pay very close attention. When you hear it is near boiling shut the burner off. Allow it to skim as slow as possible, either at the speed in my video or slower. The slower, the better. I continued to skim until the water felt cool and then fired the burners back up once again shutting it off before boiling. If you start to boil it won't be the end of the world but it will mix things up a bit which leads to longer skimming.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150591529896253&l=629707585283452060
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ALIGA
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    edited December 2013
    Options
    what i did - use at your own risk

- flush out boiler cold, and hot, drain completely

- cold skimming

- warm skimming slow

- warm skimming fast with valve fully open- open fill valve fast to get big gunk off the top

- added real TSP, and filled boiler to the very top, let it come to a boil, and drained

- washing out the boiler with a wand thanks to chrisj/gerry gill

no more banging, water stays still!
This discussion has been closed.