Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need Help With an Old Boiler

Options
I have an old Weil-Mclain boiler for a 1 pipe steam system, model EG-35-PI.  It will not light properly this year.  I have intermittent ignition with a White- Rogers cycle pilot.

The pilot lights, but then there is continuous clicking from the pilot electrode, but no main burn.  I have cleaned the flame sensor with emery cloth, and un-plugged and re-plugged what I could to clean any corroded junctions (with power off).

I have looked at the manual at Weil-mclain site, page 66-67 here:

<a href="http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multimedia-library/pdf/weil-mclain-pdf/products/discontinued/discontinued-boilers/eg-peg-egh-boiler/eg.pdf">http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/multimedia-library/pdf/weil-mclain-pdf/products/discontinued/discontinued-boilers/eg-peg-egh-boiler/eg.pdf</a>

I am guessing that since there is spark from pilot electrode and the pilot lights, that the flame sensor is bad?  According to the manual, my sensor parts are obsolete, parts # 4 and 5 on page 67. 

Do you think it is the flame sensor that is bad, and if so, can I just remove it and take it to a plumbing/heating shop where they will know what to replace it with?

thanks...

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Ignition

May also be a bad ignition module or ground. You'll need to know how to troubleshoot the module before condemning the flame sensor.
  • Brad_21
    Brad_21 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    troubleshoot ignition

a bad ignition module or ground?  I'm new to all this.  Should I just

check You-tube to see if there is an instruction video, or do you have a

link to a good article?
  • JStar
    Options
    Ignition

You'll need an electrical meter that can measure micro-amps. There is a high potential for danger while testing any ignition system. I wouldn't trust a video to explain anything. Even with clear instructions, it's really tough to give out too much advice because of the safety hazards involved. If you are set on doing this work by yourself, you can email me privately.
  • Brad_21
    Options
    ignition

Thanks, but I think I'll call in a pro...
  • JStar
    Options
    Ignition

Smart move. You'll wind up getting the repair made quickly, and economically, as opposed to changing random parts until it's fixed.

Where are you located? We may know somebody in the area.
  • Brad_21
    Options
    ignition

Gloversville NY  12078 due west of Saratoga Springs about 1/2 hour
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Cycle pilot

It sounds like you have a White Rodgers mercury flame sensor. I don't think they are still available anywhere and you may have to change out the entire gas valve and pilot assembly.

You might post your question in the Gas Heating section of the forum. Tim McElwain has vast experience with these type of pilots and can advise you on how to best proceed.

Unless you find an older tech to check your boiler, he may have never even seen one of these before as they were discontinued years ago.
This discussion has been closed.