Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New boiler noises

Options
Had a new boiler installed last year and after a little tweaking it worked well. This season ,I am getting loud rumbling from the boiler at every firing,even when the system is already warm. The only changes since last year are a new stainless steel chimney liner and the removal of one radiator out of the system (due to some remodeling ). The system is getting heat to all the radiators and everything else seems fine. The noise has me a little worried ! Any Ideas???? (single pipe system , Peerless boiler ) Any help would be appreiciated Thanks !

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Noise

Oil or gas? Power burner or atmospheric burners?
  • JohnnyJohnny
    JohnnyJohnny Member Posts: 8
    Options
    New boiler noises

Thanks for the quick reply- It's a non powered gas boiler. the thing that confuses me is the fact that it didn't do this last season !
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Noise

What do the burner flames look like when it fires up?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Rumbling flames

I had that noise with our old atmospheric boiler, equipped with variable shutters on the burner tubes. Somehow they would get out of adjustment, and the flame would light inside the burner tubes, making a loud roar.

Something may have changed from last year. Are there any new exhaust fans or vented dryers since then?--NBC
  • JohnnyJohnny
    Options
    New boiler noises

Thanks again for the quick replies. I checked the flame pattern on fire-up and everything looks good, all burners full and even. It actually sounds more like the water rumbling inside the boiler. As for changes in the house , I installed a new stainless steel chimney liner ( problems getting a draft going last year in very very cold weather ) I also removed one radiator out of the system, I took out the branch pipe that led to that radiator all the way back to the main and plugged it at the main. There doesn't seem to be any other problems , plenty of heat at all the radiators, just the noise ! Thanks again
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Rumbling

Are there any additives in the boiler? Was the boiler properly cleaned after installation? Could the pressure settings have changed?

Better living through chemistry does not apply to most boilers of our type, unless there is a clear chemical reason for adjusting the local water.--NBC
  • JohnnyJohnny
    Options
    chemicals ?

NBC- Thanks for the reply. The only additive I have been using ( which I used all last season as well ) is a product called Steam Kleen. It was recomended to me by several people . I started using it right after the install because I was getting a lot of pipe banging. After skimming a few times the boiler worked fine for the remainder of the season. This season I re-treated with the same amount of the same product. I do drain off some water on a regular basis to clean out any sludge, and all in all it has been pretty clean. still have the noise however ! Thanks again
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Why are the chemicals still in there?

Most cleaners are meant to be used and then flushed out once they have done their job. What company makes this additive, is this cleaner specifically meant to be left in the boiler forever?

Your best course might be to completely empty the boiler and then flush it out good. Then refill it and let it build steam with clean water, if that cleaner has not cleaned the boiler after a year it never will.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.