Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Dope&Tape:Is this OK?

vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
For the new install...No one had Megalock sealant, so we bought TFE pipe sealant with PTFE from Grainger. It says it's good for steam...anyone have any experience with it? I also bought Rectorseal, but noticed afterwards it's not good for pipe over 2" and all my piping is 31/2" and 4".

We also bought Loctite Quicktape249 teflon tape(from Grainger) as well as Oatey Blue Megatape 30621(from Home Depot). The former was about 10x the price. Is it that much better or is the Megatape OK for the piping? Thanks for all the help everyone. Hopefully, we won't be shivering too much longer. colleen
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Blue Monster

I used Blue Monster bought at Lowes on the repairs I did and I really liked it. You can get it in 1" wide rolls which is nice for big stuff. I used the sealant with it too but it hasn't been on long enough to know if it truly stays soft. So far after 2 months it's about like it was when I applied it. It hasn't hardened at all but 2 months isn't long enough to know for sure. I buried the pipe the exact amounts listed on the charts and the tape and sealant held for every connection without a single leak. I'm not a pro though and they might feel differently about this stuff.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    edited November 2013
    Thanks.

Thanks for replying. I don't need it until Friday so I'll see what others suggest and maybe check it out then, unless they're open on Thanksgiving. I'm normally really against that, but this year I feel differently! I was a bit gasping at the price of the Loctite stuff so I'd be happy for a cheaper option, especially 1". What I bought was only 1/2". What sealant did you use? Did you buy it from Lowes as well?

The guy at HD said I was getting my money's worth out of him!
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Same Brand

I used the Blue Monster sealant as well. They had several kinds but the one I got was called Anti-Seize Nickle I think. It's a high temp version of their sealant. It cost a lot more than the regular stuff but I only needed one bottle. The Blue Monster regular sealant could easily handle steam temps so you would probably be fine using it.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Anaerobic sealants

are available from quite a few companies.  Loctite has a big advertising budget.

http://www.fppi.com/products/list/139/pipefit-as-thread-sealant-paste.aspx is rated to 400ºF and is priced right.
This discussion has been closed.