Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

keeping things safe ....

Options
jpf321
jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
So a friend of mine called me on Monday because he had no heat. He mentioned that his ignition control had melted (SF-8600). When I arrived, I think that it's lucky it melted. The following are the problems that he had ..

1) The bellows on his MM#67 LWCO float had accumulated some rust on the underside, therefore it would not freely drop when the water dropped .. it was being held up by only a few tiny specks of encrusted rust between the bellows sections. I could not believe that such a small amount of rust specks could keep the float from proper operation.

2) The *original 1989* 1/4" black street elbow that he had coming out of the top of his MM#67 to his brand new brass pigtail to brand new 404A Pressuretrol was plugged solid.

Obviously at this point he was sensing neither Pressure nor Low Water.

What had happened .. I think ...

On a cold day recently, the pop-safety blew and emptied all his water in fast action. The boiler kept going .. and melted his ignition.

We've since cleaned his #67 up nicely, we've replaced plugged black pressure El with a new brass one. We have replaced his pop-safety since he experienced it popped again on Monday night after we got him flame back monday afternoon. (after restoring flame on monday afternoon I alerted him to the problem with the #67 and we had scheduled it's overhaul for the next day, I did not notice plugged pressure elbow.)

I cannot stress enough that if you are reliant on a float-type LWCO (MM#67) you MUST test it WHILE THE BOILER is running to ensure proper operation.

The side of his boiler jacket was noticeably scorched. He was VERY LUCKY.
1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
This discussion has been closed.