Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.

If you've found help here, check back in to let us know how everything worked out.
It's a great way to thank those who helped you.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Adjusting boiler K factor and pump delta T

Jerhrof16Jerhrof16 Posts: 3Member
I have a 150K Navien combination condensing boiler feeding 3000' of 5/8" pex in a concrete slab circulated by a Taco HEC-2 "bumblebee" pump. I am currently running the navien using the outdoor sensor at a K factor setting of 1.6 (6 is max) and the pump is currently running in constant speed mode on highest setting. I am about to change the pump over to variable speed Delta T mode but am unsure how to set it all up for maximum efficiency. The current delta T's are very high (30-40 degrees) but the system is heating the building. To lower the delta's do I want the pump to run near constantly at a lower speed and should I lower the boiler K factor and thus lower the output temp? Thanks!

Comments

• Dave H_2Dave H_2 Posts: 334Member
    Delta T

Is the delta T you are reading across the boiler or across the radiant?

Most radiant applications would like a 10 to 15 degree delta T across the manifold

If this is the delta T across the boiler, you are rockin along and it should be condensing nicely.

So, if you were to change the pump from constant to Delta T mode and the setting is 20 degrees and you have a 30 degree across the manifold, then the circ will run full speed until the delta T drops below 20.

Dave H.
    Dave H
  • Jerhrof16Jerhrof16 Posts: 3Member
    Delta T

Thanks Dave. That Delta T was across the manifold. The delta across the boiler is more like 50 degrees. I think lowering the outdoor reset curve on the boiler will require longer cycle times on the pump which should get the manifold delta T's closer to the 15-20 region. I'm really looking to keep the boiler condensing well at an efficient level with the pump throttling back as well.
  • Dave H_2Dave H_2 Posts: 334Member
    When

did the system start up? That delta T for a radiant slab is large.

If you are in outdoor reset and the system just started up, it is going to take a while to warm everything up.

But I have to start asking questions as to how long are the loops, what is the spacing, one zone or many?

Thanks

Dave H
    Dave H
  • Jerhrof16Jerhrof16 Posts: 3Member
    Details

Dave, it is a 1 zone system with 6 500' loops using 5/8" pex. After lowering the reset k factor on the boiler the delta's across the manifolds are decreasing (28-30) now. I just lowered it a bit more which I think should put everything where it should be. Bottom line, the system works well but I think 3000' of 5/8" pex on one loop with one pump is probably pushing it. The system was designed by Blue Ridge company but if I did it again I would go with a slightly larger boiler and 2 pumps but that would be viewed by most as overkill I guess.
This discussion has been closed.

Welcome

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!