Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Wet return line clogged

Hi I have 6 unit steam system with a single return that needs to be replaced, my problem is that basement is finished with all pipes behind wall. Is their a alternative way to run a new return. I've read in this forum about a condensate return with a pump & a F&T trap but I don't know if this will apply to my system. Can anyone help me out, will be greatly appreciated. If their is a alternative way can you let me know what parts I will need.


  • Needed parts

    The replacement pipe could run along the floor to the boiler. The main vent will need to be moved to that riser, well above the waterline.

    A condensate pump will be a constant source of noise and aggravation, and will probably have to be used with a feed tank.--NBC
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,296

    Can you post some pictures of your basement?

    Sometimes if the main is high enough you can run a dry return under it, or at least part of the way so then the part you'd need to run along the floor wouldn't need to go through your whole basement.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!