Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trap testing

Options
Is there any way to test the elements in old Hoffman #1 traps, such as by taking them out, and putting them in boiling water? Is the movement large enough to see?

This is for an old Hoffman system with a leaky boiler which has been abandoned but mostly intact for 30 years. I could just order replacement guts for the Hoffman traps, but for 16 radiators, it's quite an expense!

I also plan to flood the system with low pressure air and water to see if there are any leaks in some areas between a ceiling and a floor. Would 5 psi be enough?--NBC

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Trap testing

Is there any theory on the lifespan of Hoffman #1 traps? I'd like to get everything operational, before firing up the replacement boiler, and if there is a failed trap, it would be nice to replace it before it's presence causes other problems in the system.I think I'll take one out, and put it in boiling water and watch for movement.

I have 2 types of valves on the system, and I wonder what the difference between them is. The lever valves are stuck, and I will probably soak them in something neutral and slippery. Would they have any material which could be adversely affected by solvents--gaskets/packing?

The original Hoffman air eliminator is 10 feet off the floor, and I haven't had a close up look yet. Could this have been equipped with a vacuum pump? No such pump remains, but maybe it was removed to make way for the badly installed hot-air furnace in 1990.-NBC
This discussion has been closed.