Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vaporstat & Gauge Piping with drip leg?

Options
I would like to reconfigure the piping for the vaporstat and gauges.

Since these need to be kept clean would a drip leg work?

I also want to add a few access points for easier cleaning of the pigtails etc. by using tees or crosses with plugs.What about a coupling for easier cleaning?

Should I use brass and copper rather than steel for this piping?

After recently cleaning the pigtail to the low pressure gauge as recommended on this site the gauge is working again. Next is the pigtail for the vaporstat. It needs to be cleaned or replaced and turned 90 deg.

I have included the existing configuration (however the low pressure gauge is now at zero when the boiler is off).

I would appreciate your recommendations!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Keeping the piggies clean

You could angle down from the present tapping, to a tee,below the waterline, then extend out horizontally on both sides of the tee, then elbows and nipples to go back up above the waterline. Finally 2 pigtails would be mounted on top of that, for the gauge and v-stat.

This would provide 2 traps for debris, the lower horizontals, and the pigtails. Certainly, the caps on the lower horizontals could be removed once a year to push out any mud. Unions on the verticals would help as well. I used brass pipes, and fittings from the hardware store, but it involved several trips!--NBC
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Pigtail

Try to install the pressure assembly on top of the boiler. You'll have room for a drip leg there.
This discussion has been closed.