Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

clogged siphon or bad pressurtrol?

Options
Hi my name is randy and I have a one pipe steam system with a Utica boiler and Honeywell pressurtrol switch. My question is will a clogged siphon tube cause my pressure gauge to be constantly reading 4 psi? Also my cut in and cut off pressures have to be set at 2.5-3.5 in order for the heat to come on.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    faulty gauge

first replace the gauge, so you can see the real pressure. then check your main venting, which is needed to let the air escape with very low pressure. if you find that when the pressuretrol has been set low to 1.5 psi, the boiler short-cycles, then that is a sure sign of bad main venting.--NBC
  • randysteam
    randysteam Member Posts: 2
    Options
    clogged siphon

I guess my question is would a clogged siphon tube cause the pressure gage to stay @4psi all the time?
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Don't think so

It shouldn't. PSI at the gauge is not dependent on the volume of the tube. When the system is off the gauge should read 0 psi, no matter if the inside diameter is 1/2" or clogged down to 1/4". If the gauge doesn't read 0 with the system off and cold, it's broken.

Since you need to replace it, get something for low pressure systems like 0-3 or 0-5 psi. Digitals are great, but pricey.
This discussion has been closed.