Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Swing settings

Options
I would like to start by say thanks to all who post on the wall. I have been getting my steam system to work better than ever. I would like to adjust my swing setting and from reading other posts I see the ideal setting is 1, which ideally means system should cycle once per hour. My instructions state however "...A smaller swing number increases the number of cycles per hour, so the room temperature is more precise and constant. A larger swing number decreases the number of cycles per hour..."

So my question is should I still set it at 1 or the highest number it will go.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    What swing setting?

What model of thermostat is this?

If it were the Honeywell visionpro, I would get the optional remote sensor, and put it in a more exposed part of the house, so it will feel falling temperatures more quickly.

I just used the default settings for mine (1cph).--NBC
  • Stangob
    Stangob Member Posts: 26
    Options
    LuxPro

This is a LuxPro PSP511Ca. I have read on the site that the Honeywell vision pro is a great thermostat for steam. Unfortunately at the present time getting one is out of the question. I am trying to work with what I have. I see you responded by saying your setting is 1 cph which I am trying to set to as well. The instructions on my thermostat seemed to say the opposite however. I read it as, set to 9 (which is the highest) to achieve the lowest cycles per hour. I am just asking if I am reading it correctly and should therefore set it to 9 as oppose to 1 which other posts suggest.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,673
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Swing

I run a Visionpro but if money is tight a focus pro 5000 series from pexsupply would work good and is very cheap.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Honeywell-TH5110D1022-The-FocusPRO-Large-Screen-Non-Programmable-Digital-Thermostat-Premier-White-4088000-p

This will work as good IMO as my vision pro and I had a friend buy one for his steam system.

Now, if that is out of the question for your current stat I would guess a 2 or 3 degree swing should do ok. Try it and see how it works. A 1 degree swing most likely will not work. I had a Hunter that was labeled -1 + 2 which meant it would turn on 1 degree below the setting and shut off 2 degrees above. I'm not exactly sure how your Lux works but it sounds similar.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Thermo Manual says

That a lower number is more cycles, but that a larger number is more efficient. Try 6, and time several cycles. If cycles more than twice an hour, try 8.
  • Stangob
    Stangob Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thank you

Chris I checked out the link and you are right that thermostat is quite reasonable. I will do as Fred mentioned and play with the numbers and time the cycles and if it doesn't work out will purchase the one from pexsupply. The manual for the LuxPro was pretty straight forward but I just wanted to confirm I was not interpreting it wrong.

Once again thanks to all who responded to my question and to all who offer there valuable information on the site to help those like me!
This discussion has been closed.