Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

To Keep or Not To Keep, That is the Quest, Chum.

Options
Big-Al_2
Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
Last year I installed a new boiler and decided to re-use a 10-year-old mercury type Pressuretrol.  Everything is working great. In fact it's working so well that I have neglected to even check in at the wall much since then. Anyway, the boiler is sized right, so the system almost never builds any appreciable pressure. 

I still have the brand-new in-the-box non-mercury Pressuretrol that came with the boiler.  I hate hanging onto stuff I'll probably never need.  What's the typical lifespan of the old Mercury-type Pressuretrols? . . . . basically forever?  Should I hang onto the new one just in case or put it up on eBay and try to recover a few bucks?

What say ye ladies and gents?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,700
    Options
    Ah

This question sounds a lot like one I had a few years ago.

I ripped a rotted boiler out and installed a new one that came with a new mercury free pressuretrol.

The end result is that one is on the shelf and the mercury type is on the boiler. I found it to behave far nicer than the newer non-mercury type.

As far as I know mercury switches last a very long time due to the lack of air around the contacts. With no air you don't get oxidation and burning. If its still working good I would leave it.

I test mine occasionally by closing my king valves and watching how it behaves because also like you mine pretty much just sits there never doing anything.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Fred Harwood_2
    Fred Harwood_2 Member Posts: 195
    Options
    Keep or Not

Costs nothing to keep.
This discussion has been closed.