Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler main header tilt and sink over time

Options
Hi There,

A while back a posted a question about our steam heat system and now a few things have changed. Our Steam heat system's main has started to sink in the southern part of our house, caused by a very heavy radiator which I have no clue how much it weighs but I am guessing weighs somewhere near 400+ pounds.

The radiator has cause a huge sink, infact the front of our house (south side) has a big slant when measured with a level.

Because of the the sink, the boiler main steam header that leads from the boiler to that part of the house (middle of the house to south of the house going southwards), has sank to a degree which is causing the huge radiator to not even heat up. All other radiators heat up fine but this one is nowhere close to warming up. Infact, the boiler is going through cycles of water which makes me suspect that water is being lost.

We just converted from oil to gas and would like to reap the benefits of our better efficient boiler by fixing this sinking main. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

cchhat01

Comments

• MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Jack Post

Water is probably collecting in the main where it is low and filling with water. Can you put a jack post in the basement to raise the floor back up and structurally sure it up? Your main is probably suspended from the wood framing so jacking the framing up will also raise the main. If room is tight, a small steel I beam spanning several joists with the jack under it might work.

If you do this, please make sure you secure the post to the floor. I can;t tell you how many people install those things and don't bolt them down. They really need to be anchored to the floor as well as whatever is on top.

Also, if 400 pounds is causing your house to move and sink, you might want to call a structural engineer to have a look. 400 pounds dispersed over the size of a radiator should not make your house move. You might have footing or floor joist problems that need to be addressed as well.
This discussion has been closed.