Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressuretrol Issue?

Options
Hi All,

I think I may have an issue with my pressuretrol, though I need to investigate a bit further. It seems to me that it is not turning the boiler off. My pressure gauge sits at about 7psi when it gets going (I have to double check the gauge to make sure the units are psi), and it doesn't seem to cut off. If I get in there and manually lift the lever, it will shut off. I suspect that the plunger is frozen. When there is no pressure in the boiler, should I be able to move the plunger up and down? I can not. I couldn't find any youtube videos on the operation of this thing.

I know the pigtail is clear, because I recently changed the low water cut off and checked the pigtail by running water through it.

Also, would high pressure have something to do with all the rust in my water? Even if I replace the water, it does not take long for it to get very dirty. Any information would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Comments

• McSwiggin
    McSwiggin Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Pressuretrol Issue - Found Thread

Found this thread: http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/134254/Pressure-is-Rising

Which seems to be very helpful.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Pressuretrol

Pigtail is free its either the control or the gauge ... Dirty water tells me you have steam leaks ... tight system just a few gallons if that added per year

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• McSwiggin
    McSwiggin Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Pressuretrol

Thanks for the response Ed. I'll check on the leaks. Last heating season I could go almost a month and would only need to add about 1" of water to the sight. Having a hard time figuring out if I have a leak this year because of trying to flush out the rust. After reading a bit though, adding a lot of fresh water seems like the worst thing I could do with it.
This discussion has been closed.