Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Imported Fittings

Options
I am starting to design, size and estimate the options for replacing my boiler in the spring. I am noticing a big difference in the cost of import vs domestic fittings. Whats the deal with the imported fittings? I'm assuming they are of the same quality as domestic ones, but I want to be sure. Is there anything wrong with counting on the imported fittings for my install? I love seeing Made In The USA on a product, but the cost is turning out to be pretty drastic.

Also, I posted this last night and would appreciate the pros thoughts on this. If it will work I'd like to incorporate it into my design.

Traps for Venting

How viable is it to use thermo dynamic steam traps to vent the mains instead of traditional vents? If one were to use a swing check valve inline with a thermo dynamic steam trap to vent the main to the atmosphere then seal it up to hold a vacuum what problems would they face? It seams like it would work to vent quickly, but this is all theory in my head which seldom realizes to anything useful.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Fancy Imports

I had to face this same issue when I repiped my header last year. My heart said, "buy American," but my wallet said, "no way!" Reluctantly I went with the imports. The main difference is the weight. All the American made fittings I've seen have big, heavy flanges. They look like you couldn't break them if you tried. Most of the imported fittings are adequate, but sometimes the threads aren't cut at exactly the right angle (i.e. a 45° elbow isn't exactly 45°) or as deep as they should be. Sometimes the casting marks don't quite line up, and sometimes there is flash on the inside that they don't remove. You need a die grinder to get it out.

I should point out that I'm not a pro, and due to my inexperience and uncertainty I ended up buying more fittings than I ended up using (but I'll probably use them eventually), so I'm kind of glad I didn't pay that much for them, by if I really knew what I was doing I'd probably have gone with American parts.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
This discussion has been closed.