Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WIFI STATS ?

Danscrew
Danscrew Member Posts: 130
I'm thing on going with a WI-FI stat what's Good. Apples Nest?  what's good  bad or the ugly thanks Dan 

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Red Link

The Honeywell Red Link is easy to integrate.

http://www.forwardthinking.honeywell.com/products/wireless/total_connect

The new Viessmann B2HA condensing boilers have iPhone capability.
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    System Dependant

What kind of system? The NEST is great for people that want to install and forget it. However, it does have a draw back on certain systems, especially steam. The thermo detects when you are home, and when you are gone then programs based on these observations. So, it sets an away temp to save energy while you are gone. However, if you have a steam heat system, setting an away temp of 15 degrees less than an occupancy temp might not be all that efficient. It might take a steam system several boiler cycle to recover 15 degrees, especially if the boiler water is cold when it fires back up.So while a forced air system might recover quickly, steam might be using more energy to recover than it would have taken to maintain room temp in the first place.

You can override all the automatic stuff, but at that point it would make more sense to get a high end programmable unit. You'll have more control and function, and you still get the WiFi iPhone connectivity. It all just depends on the type of system, type of people living there, and overall objectives.

If you post some more details with those specifics we might be able to help you hone in on a unit that will work well for you.
  • Phil_17
    Phil_17 Member Posts: 178
    Nest on steam

I've had a Nest on my MST513 since they first came out, and there are no complaints. You can easily set the "away" temperature to anything you like (mine is at 62, and the house never seems to cool off enough to ever get to that point before somebody comes along and triggers the switch back to normal operations. The setting only needs to be made one time (when you install it) and can be changed any time you like.

Release 1.0 of the software did a horrible job of anticipating all things steam (time to first heat, time to temp, and overshoot after shutdown) but the current software handles it all very nicely.

Note: it really needs 3 wires to operate correctly. You can drop it into a 2-wire system (replacing an old style Honeywell round mercury t-stat) and it will work, but there will be times when it complains about not having power. If in doubt, get help from somebody who knows how to wire things properly.
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Great Info Phil

I was basing my post on the first iteration of the NEST and it was terrible. My neighbor installed and left it alone, literally did nothing to configure it other than WiFi. It auto set the away temp to 40, then tried to recover 5 mns before they came home. And, it would run the temp up 3 degrees past the set point trying to get the system to go longer periods of time between cycles. It thought 74 degree house temp was a better option than running the boiler 3 times an hour to maintain 71.That might have been true for energy costs, but what a horrible thing to do automatically. It was an absolute mess.

I'll make sure I update and get some hands on experience with the newest firmware / software so I don't offer up any misinformation based on the original release.

Thanks for the correction.
  • Limamikemike
    Limamikemike Member Posts: 28
    Ecobee

Take a look at the the ecobee, not as pretty as the nest but more functional in my opinion.

http://www.ecobee.com/wp-content/themes/ecobeev2/files/manuals/UMR5-141010WEB.pdf

I have two, they network seamlessly and the home iq portal on their website is very informative, it will give you graphical charts for runtime adjusted per degree day.
  • AirborneTrav
    AirborneTrav Member Posts: 29
    Nest v. Honeywell

I installed a bunch of Nests when they first came out, but have recently been doing a lot more of the Honeywell 6000 Focus Pro's and 8000 Vision Pro's. The Nest learning capability is a cool function that certain customers seem to like, but many just want to be able to control the thing while they are away from the house. The Honeywell app is pretty good, and they are easy for most people to program, which if done properly can outweigh the Nest's learning capability, especially in light of some of the problems that can arise, such as the ones discussed above.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,587
    Honeywell Wifi 9000?

We're looking into maybe getting my dad a Honeywell Wifi 9000 to replace his non-wifi Visionpro 8000 but I'm not too sure its worth it.

Has anyone used the 9000 and how does it compare to the 8000 as far as being easy to read?  I can't find dimensions anywhere on it so I have no idea of its size compared to the 8000.

Also not sure how it compares to the Nest?  Unfortunately (in my opinion) he has forced hot air so the Nest would work fine, as long as it can be forced to follow what he programs.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.