Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil Mclain WM 97+ install pics

Options
Danscrew
Danscrew Member Posts: 130
Weil Mclain Install Pic's  Have to clean up that BX with a pice of EMT it's alwys something Dan

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Pressure Relief Valve:

Nice install.

Not to be picky, picky, picky. But (and that might be your normal practice)  page 13 of the Weil-McLain Installation Manual shows the Pressure Relief valve mounted at the top of the boiler in a specific place. The Pressure Reducing Valve location isn't shown in that location, if at all. Its been my lifelong understanding,, told to me by an old dead guy that a function of the cold water fill being in a different location like the bottom of the boiler, and the Pressure relief Valve being on the top of the boiler, or at least where cold water had to go to get to the Pres. Relief, was part of the design of the safety system. In your location, if the pressure increases because of overheating, the boiler will not be relieving overheated boiler water but cold water entering the system.

The old dead guy I started with would NEVER install those combo valves. If one needed to be replaced, we split it up. For the reasons I alluded to.
  • Danscrew
    Options
    Look closer

The pressure relief is located before the shutoff valves in the supply line to the system."code" As stated in the manual.  Due to very tight space I located it on the lower part of my supply header. The pressure at the bottom 4 1/2 feet away from the top of the boiler is the same as the top or so minimal you would not be able to measure it. The water line PRV is located on the return line to the boiler Which is correct. Sometimes things look a little different then the book or what I call a field adjustment . All safety's in place    your not being picky you have a good eye for safety.   Dan  
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 884
    Options
    Neat and clean

Looks real good

My questions are:

Are you pumping your condensate into the neutralizer?

Did you size that pancake style expansion tank to make sure its big enough for your system?

Thats all

tom
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • Danscrew
    Options
    Thanks Tom

And yes I am pumping the condensate through the neutralizer. The expansion tank inside the unit seems to be holding its own. I have only had the unit running for a couple of weeks.    So the OAT has been mild and not letting the water  go to high I have the old cushion tank still hooked up to the system but it's valved off till I need it . So if the relief lifts I will valve on my cushion tank to take the pressure whats you take on that Tom      I don't know the how many gallons in the 2 loops.

thanks Dan   
  • icesailor
    Options
    Relieved:

I don't want to be picky but the boiler comes with a 3/4" 30# or 40# rated relief valve for that boiler. It does not come with a 1/2" IPS relief valve. You have isolation valves around the combi valve. If you shut off the feed to the boiler through isolation of the valves, you do not have any protection of the boiler. It matters not to me.
  • icesailor
    Options
    last ever said:

This is the last I will ever say on this discussion.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/WM97_Plus_CT_Boiler_Manual_0113.pdf

Page 12 emphatically says that you must use a 3/4" 30# relief in the place provided. I interpret it as no where else but where they show it because of an internal check valve.

Page 13 shows where it is supposed to go.

It is my experience that if ANYTHING goes wrong with the boiler or system, and the insurance company has a say in it, because the Relief Valve isn't what they show or placed where it shows, they will decline to cover. I've seen Weil-McLain do it for less.

If the manufacturer says to install something in their installation manual, even if you think it is wrong or you've always done it that way, you are at your own peril.

It's not my boiler.

Just stick a 3/4" relief valve where they show it and everyone at Weil-McLain will be happy.

You have no idea how hard a manufacturer or rep will work to blame you for something that doesn't amount to a pimple on the rear of an elephant. They're not your friends once something goes wrong. It's dog eat dog and you are the dog to be eaten.
  • icesailor
    Options
    last ever said:

This is the last I will ever say on this discussion.

http://www.weil-mclain.com/en/assets/pdf/WM97_Plus_CT_Boiler_Manual_0113.pdf

Page 12 emphatically says that you must use a 3/4" 30# relief in the place provided. I interpret it as no where else but where they show it because of an internal check valve.

Page 13 shows where it is supposed to go.

It is my experience that if ANYTHING goes wrong with the boiler or system, and the insurance company has a say in it, because the Relief Valve isn't what they show or placed where it shows, they will decline to cover. I've seen Weil-McLain do it for less.

If the manufacturer says to install something in their installation manual, even if you think it is wrong or you've always done it that way, you are at your own peril.

It's not my boiler.

Just stick a 3/4" relief valve where they show it and everyone at Weil-McLain will be happy.

You have no idea how hard a manufacturer or rep will work to blame you for something that doesn't amount to a pimple on the rear of an elephant. They're not your friends once something goes wrong. It's dog eat dog and you are the dog to be eaten.
  • Danscrew
    Options
    YOU ARE NOT LOOKING AT THE SAME THING

THERE IS NO VALVES AROUND THE COMBI VALVE JUST THE SUPPLY SIDE
  • Danscrew
    Options
    ICE SAILOR

The reason they want the relief valve but there is they don't want it ending up past a  shutoff valve. So if they tell everyone that's where it belongs it can not be mistakenly installed after a valve mine is not installed after the valve case closed .  Dan
This discussion has been closed.