Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe steam

Options
ph
ph Member Posts: 11
i am wandering if anyone can help me out and tell me if the parts of the 2 pipe steam system are correct

pic 1 is a king of bypass from supply to return with a steam trap on it

pic 2 is the make up tank the returns go below the tank then come up and go threw the f&t traps in to the tanks,

are the tramp meant to be there?

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Answers

The first picture shows a crossover trap. Its function is to vent the steam main. Air passes into the return piping where it passed to the vented boiler feed tank.

The second picture is of an F&T trap. I see two pipes converging in this area. I would assume that the pipe that comes to the trap is the drip end of a steam main and that the other pipe that does not go through the trap is the condensate return line. If this is indeed the way it is piped, it is fine.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • ph
    ph Member Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Options
    tx

thanks for explaining the first pic, heres a better pic of the traps, the return lines go below the tank then up to the traps splits and comes back together then in to the tank.

there is banging in the system and a slow return i am thinking the traps or strainer may be clogged, but when i was looking at it i was wandering if the traps are needed or can be removed

tx
This discussion has been closed.