Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

GE Heatpump H50 WaterHeater piping

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
I'm writing this for my Dad. He currently has a Burnham oil HW boiler heated with a coil. For various reasons, he would like to change over to a GE heat Pump H50 water heater. He's got a fairly good price on one and as a former GE man prefers GE products. Is this a good product? Are there any issues of which he should be aware?

His main question deals with the piping. Is it better to pipe off of the cold water line OR off the hw line thereby using the coil to preheat the water in the winter and maybe changing over to the cold line in the summer when the boiler is shut down?

He also has a plumber friend that says just to use the tank as a storage tank for the water from the coil, but i think that would negate the whole reason for getting the heat pump WH and wouldn't be as efficient anyway.

Any insight would be appreciated. Colleen
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    boiler coil could be a water "Preheater"

with the boiler off . run it thru the coil cold to the other tank cold side with a check use an st 12 or so for water expansion . it may require a pop off valve installed in the coil if any valves exist before or after the coil ...install that into a T drained to the floor ...
This discussion has been closed.