Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Trane Steam Radiator Not Warming

Options
Help. I did a bath reno last spring and had to temporarily move my radiator to put in new flooring. They put it back and I figured it was good to go. Just noticed that the radiator is not heating up. The supply pipe is hot, but the radiator itself is cold. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks so much for your help!!

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Picture please

It would help to see the radiator. Is it a one pipe or two pipe set up. If a one pipe, did they damage the vent? Many possibilities, but to narrow it down, please post a few pictures.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Pattymc
    Pattymc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Pics

Here are a couple pics. Thanks again for your help!!
  • Pattymc
    Pattymc Member Posts: 3
    Options
    another...

Another...
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Nothing Obvious

I see nothing obviously wrong with the reinstallation of the radiator, but here are some ideas.

* Before the radiator was removed, was it setting on anything that would have held it a bit higher? If so, installing it at a lower elevation would require pushing the pipes down through the floor and may have cause the return pipe to consequently have lost its property slope, allowing a pool of water to block the venting of air through the trap.

* Check the trap. Unhook the radiator and make sure that nothing was left in the outlet or inlet by the plumber who installed it. Check the trap to make sure that there is no debris in it that could be blocking the outlet port. Check the trap to verify that the thermal element is still good and that it is open when cold.

*Check the inlet valve to verify that it is open and unobstructed.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.