Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to clean a steam system

Options
hi
hi Member Posts: 31
i just did a lot of work on my one pipe system (replaced all firs floor radiators repiped the boiler with 3" drop header) and I skimmed once for about on hour, but every time the boiler turns on it smells really bad, and the water line jumps up and down, so is there any chemical that can be added to the water to help clean up the water?

i will try skimming some more.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options
    Wand

I recommend using a wand to clean the boiler using hot water. Have a look at this old thread and you'll see the wand closer to the bottom of the discussion.

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/143078/Rinsing-the-boiler
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Flue Brush

I used a chimney flue brush with the wand with great results. Just make sure the flue brush is well made so you don't have bristles falling off while using it. Scrub, rinse, scrub, rinse on and on until i was happy with the water coming out. The flue brush is flexible and small enough to fit in and get to just about any spot in the boiler.

Then came the skimming. Over and over until I was happy with that. I skimmed 5 times, each time was about 2 hours. Just keep doing it until the water has no oil in it. I would collect the first quart that came out, let it sit for 10 mins, then look for oil. Then collect another quart and so on. I stopped when the water was oil free, then checked again a few days later. You'll find that clean water today can have oil in it tomorrow. It took a few weeks for me to be satisfied it was all gone. I probably over killed it because I don't want to replace the boiler until next spring and needed to ensure one more season out of it. It's an old boiler and was really dirty so you may not have to do as much as I did.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    steam master

Now that it's clean you might want to consider adding a Steam Master tablet to the boiler water. I started using on my new boiler last year after skimming it and the water is just as clean a year later as it was then.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Thanks

for the tip BobC. I'll order some online tonight. I looked at those before, but wasn't sure they did any good. It kind of seemed like snake oil to me, but I have no experience with steam so I'll take any suggestion I'm given.

I only need one more season out of it, and with the lack of steam pros here I don't want to be stuck replacing it in the middle of winter on short notice. I was actually a little afraid cleaning it as well as I did would cause leaks, thinking some of the sludge might have been plugging small holes. Thankfully that wasn't the case. I am a bit amazed how well it runs now that it's good and clean. It really made a big difference. For a 60 year old boiler and 100 year old system, I can't complain about performance anymore.

With the help of you excellent fine gentlemen, I'll be doing a new install myself this summer. I just ran out of time to do it this year. Just gotta work on the wife to spend what I want on the thing. I was floored by the cost of 3" and 4" fittings and nipples. Hence, one more season with the old beast (watching dollar bills fly out the chimney).
This discussion has been closed.