Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rain in the Sight Glass

Options
All,

Hello.  As you probably have noticed from my earlier posts, I finally installed my 3" drop header.  Thanks to guys like Steamhead, JStar, Rod and everyone else, I was able to pretty much get it right (I think...)

Nonetheless, I have been skimming for a while and I am still getting rain int he sight glass.  It is lessening now but with all of the oil that is / was in the system I am sure that this is a direct cause for the rain.  Am I making a correct assumption?

There is very little surging as the waterline barely fluctuates during steaming...I just want to make sure I have to keep skimming / flushing.

Thanks all!

JLG
"Hey, it looks good on you though..."

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Still have oil in there

You will have to keep skimming to get rid of that oil, cleaning the system out with a wand would get the crud out of the boiler but can't get to the piping if thats where the oil is coming from. Some boiler makers advise using washing soda in the boiler to clean things out.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Steam_Starter
    Steam_Starter Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks BobC!

I was thinking that was it.  I cleaned the piping and the fittings best I could before install but there was a lot of cutting oil residue I just couldn't get out of the pipes.

Ill keep skimming and flushing away!

Have a good one!
    "Hey, it looks good on you though..."
This discussion has been closed.