Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

another video link of banging noise in my room

Options
magic90015
magic90015 Member Posts: 26
The noise just happened again.

It's 2:26am and can't sleep.

This is howI hear inside my house when it bangs.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPquBesYfQ&feature=youtu.be">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPquBesYfQ&feature=youtu.be</a>

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    sounds like...

expansion noises to me. There is no easy fix. they need to open up the ceilings to repair. from the comments prob not going to happen anytime soon. get some ear plugs or move.
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    Too Tight

They attached all the pipes to the wood joists and floor and didn't use straps that could expand with the pipes. Gonna have to rip the floor or ceiling out to fix that. The noise is the wood framing expanding as the pipes heat up and move. Agreed, ear plugs or move on out. I doubt this one is getting fixed.
  • magic90015
    magic90015 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    But why does it only happen in my unit?

But why does noiseonly happen in my unit?

It seems whenever the baseboard heater outside

right near by my unit

turns on and off automatically

the noise starts.

and there is like little bent at the end also.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
    Options
    agreed

That's the pipe expanding against a piece of wood in your unit. Look around for a section of steam pipe touching wood or sheetrock or something and see if you can make some space between the two. That's if you're lucky. Otherwise, you'll have to open a wall or ceiling to find the problem.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • MDNLansing
    MDNLansing Member Posts: 297
    Options
    It's possible

that this is the only baseboard that is fully secured to the wood framing, or the only one that is piped in such way that expansion would cause the framing to move. Without seeing how the other baseboards are piped and secured you really won't know that answer. Also, this could be the only spot that gets a cold draft from somewhere, which would make the expansion even greater the the temperature swing is drastic. All the other ones might be installed properly with some room to expand and contract, and this one might not be installed that way. When you plumb these types of baseboard units, you have to make sure the pipes are not touching the wood framing and that the baseboard unit is not solidly attached to all the studs in the wall. If the pipes and baseboard are all screwed into the framing tight and there is no room for the unit to slide as it expands, it will expand and move the wood studs and joists with it. That noise is the sound of the wood framing expanding. The creaks and cracking sounds are the nails and screws sliding in the wood.

That bent piece on the baseboard radiator is no big deal. That flat middle piece that is bent is just a damper that lets you control how much air flows through there. It's a way to restrict how much heat the radiator is giving off. That damper just sits on little metal brackets that allow you to swing it up and down. If it is bent it probably won't swing freely, but it is definitely not the cause of the noise in this video.
This discussion has been closed.