Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can Anyone ID This Boiler?

Options
Peebs
Peebs Member Posts: 7
Hey, everyone.  First time posting and it's about my first steam boiler.  Never grew up with it or had any friends that used it, so it has been an interesting 6 months essentially teaching myself.  This site and a lot of articles from it have helped start getting a handle on steam heat especially since I have no manual for the boiler I have.  It's a one-pipe system, oil-fired steam system.  If anyone could even provide me any leads I would farther along than I am now.

Also, the third picture, I had a question with.  Was this once the seat of a main vent? I see some dark brown splatter patterns on the pipe running nearby and it piqued my interest.  Again, any help/leads would be awesome.  Thanks, guys/gals!

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Vent tapping

I don't know what kind of boiler you have but that does look like vent tapping. i assume that vertical pipe is going to the wet return of the boiler, When mounting a vent try to get it up as high as practical and you can run a pipe horizontally back along the pipe to keep the vent away from any water slugs and also to avoid floor joists. Just make sure any horizontal pipe has slope so any water finds it's way back to the boiler.

You can select what size vent you need by calculating the volume of your steam main, you would like it to vent out all the air in a minute or two.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.