Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reattaching radiator to suppy with spud nut

Options
I had my radiator off to clean and paint, now I cannot reattach with spud nut. I can tighten the nut, but steam and water still come out. Should I be using any kind of tape or anything? Is my angle wrong, and is that why it is not connecting correct? I have not replaced any parts, just trying to reconnect. Thanks!

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Spud fun

I've only done this once so far but the two mating surfaces must line up perfectly in order to seal.  The nut will go on and tighten even if they are not lined up right and the result will be a leak.

Before you put the nut on, put the valve against the mating connector and make sure they are aligned perfect.  If they are not then try and move the pipe or tilt the radiator using shims to correct the alignment.  Once they are aligned you can slide the nut over and tighten it. 

Some guys use a little pipe dope on the threads to make sure the nut will come back apart years down the road but nothing is needed for the connection to seal.  Whatever you do DO NOT put anything on the mating surfaces.

Perhaps a pro or someone else can comment as like I said, I've only done it once so far.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.