Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler won't fire up.

Options
It's that time of the year again. We turned our heat on and it worked great for about a week. Yesterday I noticed it was getting cold in the house so I went down to check the boiler. The water was good, and it's getting gas and electric. When we turn it on at the thermostat, the vent dampener opens up, the relay switch clicks on, but that's it, no firing. We have a Burnham installed in the late 90's. I cleaned off the thermocouple at the pilot with some steel wool, but that didn't fix the issue. Any suggestions? We have someone coming out tomorrow, but if it's a simple fix, I'd love to save the $$

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    couple of things

Make sure the pressuretrol isn't hung up, try actuating the switch in it with the metal lever that goes between the diaphragm and the microswitch.Other than that it could be a rollout switch or the switch that the vent damper is supposed to make.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    LionA29
  • Jettster
    Jettster Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Boiler won't fire up

Turns out it was the exhaust roll out switch. I think our chimney may have a blockage or as the draft is not proper and overloads the collector hood and eventually trips the exhaust roll out switch.

Should I call a chimney company? I can't reach the top of our chimney lol.
  • Jettster
    Jettster Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Also...

It seems to me that I am replacing the main relief vent every year. It works great after I replace it, but eventually it wears out and begins majorly venting steam. What is the life expectancy of this vent?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Mirror

Can you get a mirror into the chimney and look up? A neighbor found a dead seagull in her chimney a couple of decades back - you never know.

In any case don't run that boiler till the chimney has been verified by a technician or a chimney guy.

A relief vent does not go off unless the pressure exceeds it's rating, make sure the pressuretrol is working and that the pigtail below it is clear.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.