Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

One side of house heats before the other

Options
chumie
chumie Member Posts: 13
I've had various professionals look at my house over the last several years, but the house still heats unevenly. Before I hire another professional, I would like to gain a better understanding and have a good idea of where the problems might lie.

One side of my house heats before the other - the 2nd floor radiators on the first side are heating before the ground floor radiators on the second side. Is this a problem, and if so, what does it indicate?

Thanks,

Nicole

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    uneven distribution

Uneven steam distribution. There can be many reasons, but to begin sorting it out we need to know more about your heating system. Is it a 1-pipe or 2-pipe. If 1-pipe, what kind of vents are on your radiators? Do you know what kind of main vents you have? Does the system have any other problems, such as water hammer,etc? Can you take pictures of a few of your radiators, also your boiler.

When the system runs a long time do all of the radiators eventually heat up?

there are a lot of pros who answer questions on hear and a large number of volunteers who are homeowners that have become VERY knowledgeable through their own experience. You problems CAN be solved. We'll help you out the best we can.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • conversiontime
    conversiontime Member Posts: 87
    Options
    look for main vents

Dave is correct regarding uneven steam distribution. Based on your description it sounds like two  main runs to each side of the house and one may be venting or venting faster while the other is not. First look to your main pipes, can you find any vents (often are placed near where main pipes drop 90 degrees to return condensate)? If so replace these with something like gorton #2. This should make a huge difference but you still may need to adjust rad venting for optimal performance.
This discussion has been closed.