Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator types

Options
I am trying to calculate what air vent to buy and I am new to this whole steam thing. I bought the balancing steam system guide and am trying to figure out what radiators my place has. Does anyone have a link to pics or definitive explanation so I can know which one is which type in my place.

Cast-iron flue (antique radiators)

Cast-iron wall- or ceiling-mounted

Cast-iron column (circa 1900) Cast-iron tube (circa 1930)

Cast-iron thin tube (as made today)

Cast-iron radiant radiator (5" deep)

Comments

• Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Radiators

Here are some radiator photos.

1. 3 column 38" tall

2. 6 tube 37" tall. (this is regular tube type, not small tube) Small tube is 1 3/4" per section. Large or regular tube and column type are 2 1/2" per section.

3. 5 column short

4. 1 column 38" tall

5. 4 column 45" tall

6. This is a small tube radiator, also known as slenderized,

Note, your flue type is usually higher rated than a 3 column radiator of the same size. Is this the style with the angle in the casing at the end? If so, that is Florentine model by American Radiator. Measure it and I will tell you the rating.

Hope this helps.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
    bostonJohn
  • JHprovidence
    JHprovidence Member Posts: 51
    Options
    one radiator

Thank you so much for your help it answered 4 of them. I have this 3 column one that is 22x8x22. Is this like the one that you told me about? Again thank you so much for your help.
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    nope

that is just a 3 column x (ht in inches) radiator. Let me do some looking for the flue type in the library. You indicated that you have a flue type radiator, right?
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • Dave in QCA
    Options
    Italian Flue

Here is the American Standard Italian Flue radiator. I think it was called the Florentine Flue radiator a few years later, but I might be mistaken. The thing about it that is difference is that the sections are 3" on center instead of 2.5" as is the case for almost all column and large tube radiators. Also, all of the sections are solid with no openings. When you look down from the top, the sections project out toward each other with ribs that together create round flues so that there is a lot over convection in the radiator with most of the air entering at the bottom and rising out the top. The 38" tall model is 7 sq ft per section instead of the 5 sq ft for a standard column radiator of the same size.
  • JHprovidence
    JHprovidence Member Posts: 51
    Options
    you have answered my question

I just did not know what the different types were. Thank you so much for helping out. You helped me figure out what I do have.
This discussion has been closed.