Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Visio stencils?

JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
So, I bought Visio and now I guess I have to use it. Where do I find all those nice product stencils and hardware I see people using?

Thanks,

John
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    It's been a while, but...

Tekmar use to have some really nice (free) templates for their product. I actually developed my own set of stencils, using Siggys symbols as my guide, but its an OLD version if Visio and are not compatible with newer versions of the program.

Use it often, and it comes easily. Use it on rare occasions, and you will find yourself having to relearn the keyboard shortcuts over and over again.

As an interesting aside, I bought into the whole Macintosh program for its resistance to catching virus' and its superior graphics. So while in the Macintosh store, I ask the clerk assisting me what the best drawing program was, and he looks around to make certain that none of his fellow employees was within ear shot, and say "Visio. It is THE best drawing program out there". If you own a Mac and decide to use Visio, you will have to get Parallels in order to run it on your Mac.

Enjoy

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• JohnNY
    edited November 2013
    Yeah

I have Visio for about a year now and I find it just plain difficult to use.

I'm the kind of guy that learns by doing, I guess, so I'm sure if I had someone sit down with me and show me the ropes, I'd have a much easier time with it.

I've used MS Paint for over 10 years and tend to go back to it after getting frustrated with Visio.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • HDE_2
    HDE_2 Member Posts: 140
    edited November 2013
    John

If you removed that check valve you have shown, and allow bidirectional flow between coil, tank and cold water line, you would potentially have a much higher domestic flow rate to leave the tank.

Right now your restricting DHW flow leaving tank to the coil, pipe and pump performance.

Lets say you have a 6 GPM tank demand. 3 would go through coil being heated, and 3 could back feed the tank to provide the 6 GPM domestic flow rate.

This is a common practice when applying tankless units with storage. If not done that way and the mistake is made often, it would not matter if the storage tank is 10 or 1,000 gallons, if it has to go through the tankless(s) units first, the DHW flow to the facility is restricted to tankless performance and its flow rate at a give rise/BTU
  • JohnNY
    Thanks, HDE.

I've run into problems with eliminating the check valve when using smaller storage tanks. Most often, I install insulated storage tanks as an add-on as a means to increasing cycle length/efficiency and stabilizing water temperatures so prior to my arrival, it's likely been proven that the flow rate through the coils is acceptable for the application.

I do sometimes omit the check valve and get greater flow to my outlet, as many tank drawings specify with their included literature, but I find the method in my picture allows me to be a bit more conservative with tank sizing.

Good input. Thanks.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JohnNY
    Thanks, Mark.

Do you have anything you can send me? I sure would appreciate it it's not a big PITA.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Visio graphics

in JPEG format for anyones use (with Paint or similar program)

Enjoy

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.