Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

converting a two line system to a single line

Options
bmong
bmong Member Posts: 2
I got an oil furnace that was only used for a few months. It was a two line system for the oil lines. With an inlet and return line. My oil tank was an single line system. I capped the return line on the oil pump and hooked up my single line into the oil pump. When I started the furnace,it blew out the seal around the shaft of the oil pump.is there something I need to do to convert from a two line to a single line? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Cheap vs safe way to proceed...

Ok, damage is done. There is a bypass screw in the old pump that allowed the oil, not sent to the nozzle, return to the tank. When you plugged and started the burner the oil found a new path--through the pump seal and all over the heating equipment. The cheap way is to just go out and buy an exact replacement pump. They are usually sold set up for one pipe operation.

The safe way to proceed is call a qualified professional and have the repair done right. Since you didn't know about the bypass plug, I am going to assume you don't know how to properly adjust the new pump, or test the unit after installation for safe and efficient operation. This would include testing for steady state efficiency and carbon monoxide spillage or backdraft.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
This discussion has been closed.