Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Commerical Building Owner

Gamer Member Posts: 1
Hello- I own a small downtown commercial building built in 1866 in a Maine town. There are two tenants, a store and a youth center, on two and half stories. Someone turned off the furnace last summer, the liner broke, water flooded the boiler and motor and the furnace is dead and needs to be replaced. Code now requires a chimney liner. The existing chimneys have only a 4" width. Renovating the chimneys will force me to move beams that are part of the structural integrity of the building. I can't put in a power venter because on either side I have abutting building - on the front we have a public sidewalk - on the back we have stairways, a window, electrical panels and a neighbor's deck.

What on earth am I going to do? Appreciate any advise. - Ray


  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,510

    Will your property insurance be any help with this (or the person responsible for the turn off?)

    Is this system a furnace, blowing hot air, or a boiler, supplying hot water or steam?

    Assuming it is a boiler system, then maybe a condensing boiler will be able to use a smaller flue pipe, vented through the wall.--NBC
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,429
    Liner for chimney

    If the boiler is replaced with a mod-con, a polypropylene (PPE) flexible chimney liner can be used in either 2", 3" or 4" depending on boiler sizing.
This discussion has been closed.