Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator vents: Are Gortons the same as Doles?

ALIGA
ALIGA Member Posts: 194
I went to local Sid Harveys this weekend to buy a Gorton D radiator vent. And when I got home I realized the package said Dole. I then went online to see a pic of the Gorton, and they both look identical, except for the brand.

any thoughts?

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,584
    Pictures

Can you post a picture of your vent?

I'm not sure but I want to say you probably bought a Maid-O-Mist vent. I recall them and Dole being the same but I may be way off.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ALIGA
    i will post a pic

as soon as i reach home.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Dole 80 Radiator Vents

Hi- It sounds like they gave you Dole Model 80(s)   Like the Gorton, the Model 80 is the "cat food can on its side" type of vent. They come in  4,5,6, C and D vent rates which I'm assuming is approximately the same as the Gorton and MOM  4,5,... etc.

I would use Doles before I used the MOM (s)

- Rod
  • ALIGA
    pics

requested gorton d, sid harveys gave dole d. looks the same.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    moms can be very handy

because you can buy one vent with 5 different orifices for a little over twelve bucks. That makes it very easy to balance things, if one fails you can just replace it with a Gorton if you want to.

From a manufacturing and stocking point of view having interchangeable orifices makes a lot of sense.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Rod
    High Capacity Radiator Vents can Cause Problems

Hi- Be cautious about using too large a vent on your radiators as you can really throw your balance way out of wack. Lots of venting is great for the main vents but can cause problems when used on radiators. A Gorton “D” has the same venting capacity as a Gorton #1 Main Vent. A Gorton “D” has over twice th venting capacity of a Gorton # 6 and over 4 times the venting capacity of a Gorton #5.  Slower vents, especially in large radiators, slows down the initial condensing so the vacuum doesn't get out of control and starve other smaller radiators.

- Rod
    neurosteam
  • ALIGA
    Thank you Rod

These will be used in the coldest room of the house, farthest away from the boiler.
  • Rod
    Radiator Venting

If you having problems with getting the radiator(s) farthest from the boiler to heat up, sometimes it helps to put slower vents on the radiators closer to the boiler as this "frees up" more available steam for the farthest radiators. To test this out -  shut off a large radiator or two close to the boiler. (Just turn their vents upside -down) If this improves the heating of the farthest radiators then you may want to slow the venting on the shut off radiators down a bit. The big thing is to have high capacity main vents so that steam completely fills the steam mains before entering the radiators.

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Are radiator vents the same as main vents

They are are not the same. I think that the advice on the Gorton website should not be followed, as it implies that all the venting can be done from the radiators. This is far from the truth, and will only cause the system to respond more slowly; and enrich the fuel supplier at your expense.

Put on some generous main vents, and you will find your system more responsive!--NBC
This discussion has been closed.