Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Secondary (MR) LWCO in Weil-McLain EG(H)?

Options
JohnNY
JohnNY Member Posts: 3,230
NYC Code requires two LWCOs on every boiler. One operating control and manual reset. It's a challenge on the EG/H series that requires some creativity.

Where are you putting yours?
Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
Consulting & Troubleshooting
Heating in NYC or NJ.
Classes

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Tight fit LWCO

What about putting the float type on a surge column using the skim port. Pipe it so that when the LWCO is flushed, all the oils which have been flung into the column will be drained out.

My theory is that if during boiling, maybe 5% of the surface oils will be trapped in that column every hour of boiling, and so with the weekly flush, the oil will be in the bucket.

I wish I could draw on a photograph of mine (as Rod does so easily!) what I wish had been done, but it might reduce the need for skimming, as this could be more or less automatic.--NBC
  • JohnNY
    Options
    I tried something similar...

a siphon tube from a high ¾" tapping, but an inspector knocked it down.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    LWCO

Peerless boiler, but it's a universal application.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    I think I finally got

the automatic skim port concept.
  • JohnNY
    Options
    Hey, JStar

I followed you down Canal Street a few days ago, trying to catch up and say hello. I lost you when you got into the Holland Tunnel.

Thanks for the pic. My guys tried that, too, and the inspector told them the 2nd lwco had to be in the casting of the boiler.

I can't win with this lately.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JStar
    Options
    John

When I'm driving, the rest of the world around me ceases to exist! I'm sure we'll run into each other in the future.

Have you ever had an inspector TELL you where he wants the LWCO?
  • JohnNY
    Options
    Yes

One inspector told us we need to install an operating LWCO in a tapping half way up the gauge glass and change the switch in the MM #67 to a manual reset switch. That worked, but it was a tight distance between LWCOs and a bouncing water line is likely to trigger the reset some day. There has to be a better way. I wish WM would add another tapping.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • JStar
    Options
    LWCO

For me, I want the manual reset to be lower than the operating LWCO, for those exact nuisance calls. The equalizer will see less turbulent water, and stay cleaner than the inside of the boiler.

You've already tried piping a tap above the water line into the unused return?
  • JohnNY
    Options
    auto on top, manual below

Yes. One inspector is not allowing the loop of piping that holds the MRLWCO. I'm going to have to go to the Boiler Division at the NY DoB to get this straightened out. So annoying. All the inspectors have their own idea of what passes and what doesn't.
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,672
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Not a pro

However I recall my EG-45 having spots on the rear block for tappings that weren't drilled.  What about drilling and tapping one of those for a LWCO?

I also recall it possibly having spots for trycocks as well.  Here is a picture of the rear section on my EG-45.  I think they are identical to the front section.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-VhBsqFqaOkQ/UALuSdiR06I/AAAAAAAABCM/wz0lyMe5lBs/w1103-h827-no/boiler6.jpg
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.