Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

radiator supply valve leaking

So the heating season started, and I found I have a leaking valve :(. the leak is between the the valve stem and the packing nut (is it the correct name?). When the air valve is closed, the pressure pushes some steam out there. it's not much but I can see the steam and water. Right now I am using a towel to wrap around it and it does the work. but I think it is safe to have it fixed. do I need a new valve? or i can screw the top off and put some tape and screw it back? should I turn the heat off first. I live in a building.

I am not great at terms, so the picture might help? Mine is angle valve but the stem is the same I guess.

Thanks.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited October 2013
    Leaking valve

I think your leak appears to be from the packing nut, which seals around the spindle of the valve stem. This can usually be re-packed with graphite string, and then tightened with a crescent wrench. Are you the owner, or tenant? If the later, then call the management. If the former, then call a steam pro. He should probably look at the whole system, as these systems when properly maintained should run at a few ounces of pressure.--NBC
  • puzzled_guy
    puzzled_guy Member Posts: 18
    tighten the packing nut?

Thank you Nicholas.

can i try to tighten the packing nut first with a wrench? I am the owner. and i am starting to feel the pain of being one! :). Also you mean the system is the valve system or the entire heating system.

Thanks again!
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Leaking valve

Try tightening the packing nut, while the valve is fully open. A part turn of the nut should do it, and not excessive force should be used. More graphite string can be put in in that does not work.

By system, I mean the boiler, and all pipes. Your pressure may be too high, and that is causing this leak partly. Only a few ounces are necessary to get steam to all the radiators.--NBC
  • puzzled_guy
    too much pressure

Thanks Nicholas, I will give it a try.

It's funny that you mentioned the pressure.  That IS an ongoing problem.  Actually I had a post about  that  last winter since I had water coming out from the air valves (one 9-section and one 12 section).   That time the cut-in was set at 2psi and the boiler heats up only 6-9 units in a 3 story building.   With the help from you and other guys in the forum, i managed to lower it to 0.5.   I failed to find out the differential value even I saw the white wheel in the box. But there is no reading on it. So I don't know the cut-out pressure.  Anyway, I was still getting the water out from the air valves (less though) and still the water running sound in these big radiator.   And this season it looks the same.  But you just reminded me that I need to check if someone turned the cut-in up again.

My building is not managed that well. The mgmt company always tells me they took care of the boiler and so on, and most important, no one else complained, as far as i know, or just they live with it, such as my downstairs neighbor. :)

if you are interested:)

http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/145697/air-valves-spitting-water-not-fixed-and-more/

Thanks again!!
  • puzzled_guy
    Pressure!!

I checked the boiler last night.  It was at 2 + 2.5.  I lowered it 0.5 + 1.2ish...

now i see each steam cycle is shorter. I still get the spitting air vent.. but the air floor was less aggressive than it used to be.  and certainly at night i can hear two cycles back to back when it is colder..

So i guess I understand that the temperature decides when to call the heat.  the pressure decides how far/fast the steam can go.. and I am sure my boiler is badly piped.  the pressure gauge is not even working.  and the guy who serviced it put 2+2.5.. i assume some ppl in the building must have a dirty air vent and keep complaining no heat.. so the guy just set it high so on one calls in the middle of the night...

Thanks.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Deferred maintenance

What is your location?

Use the find a contractor button here to see if there is anyone in your area to have a look. Since you are paying a share of the heat, it would be wise to get the system working as well as it did when first installed.

You should rarely hear the vents on the radiators. It only take a few ounces of pressure to get the steam to all floors. Any more pressure is only benefitting the fuel co!--NBC
  • puzzled_guy
    smell!

Boston area. I will check the find contractor...

by any chance any of you guys painted the painted the radiator with the high heat radiator paint spray from home depot? I painted one last winter and it took me 1 week to get rid of the smell. the by the end of the season i touch painted a few spot and now the smell came back and it has been four days... .
  • VA_Bear
    VA_Bear Member Posts: 50
    The pressure of the steam does NOT...

significantly affect how far or fast the steam travels if the piping is sized for ounces. Air trapped in the radiators affects the heating operation and can be overcome by excess steam pressure (squishes the air into a smaller area of the radiator), but this is better fixed by venting the air correctly and also lowers the cost to fuel the system. Velocity noise ("whistling") of the air vents indicates a lack of or failure of vents, forcing the air out the operating vents, but not for long. The excess velocity through the remaining vents will erode their components and push the system's "mud" into the vents, clogging them.
    VABear
This discussion has been closed.