Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stripped radiator vent hole

Options
Hello wall, I need to replace a vent on an old cast iron American Radiator. The hole is completely stripped out and the new vent just spins when I try to install it. I bought an 1/8" tool at the big box store to try to redo the threads, but no luck so far as it's hard to get enough pressure (by hand) to get much purchase. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    bad radiator thread or bad vent?

Make sure thye vent your trying to put on has a good thread, try another vent to see if that threads on. Last year I ran into a couple of maid-o-mist vents that didn't have any taper on their threads, I ended up buying a 1/8" die to taper the vents threads,

Does the vent just go into the radiator without the threads grabbing anything or does it just never start into the tapping on the radiator?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Steam_Starter
    Steam_Starter Member Posts: 109
    Options
    I have used...

...a lovely fix called Helicoil in engine blocks and cylinder heads.  Comes in a kit...drill out hole, tap for Helicoil, insert Helicoil then insert air valve.

Basically it rebuilds the threads with a new insert.  They make a "tangless" type now so you don't have to chase the tang after you break it off...

I tried to drill and tap JB Weld once but that was in my infancy and didn't know any better...

If it just moves in and out and spins this may be the route to take...I am sure one of many that the pros here will suggest.

JLG
    "Hey, it looks good on you though..."
  • 100YearSteam
    100YearSteam Member Posts: 3
    Options
    I'll try that...

Got a Maid 'O Mist vent here so I'll try tapering the threads in case it's like one of those you got in the past. Right now the vent sticks into the hole maybe 1/8" but spins there- doesn't go in. Thanks Bob.
  • tap

Tap to the next size pipe tap... then bush it down.. I always have the tap and bushings on truck for those handyhack wrecks the oringnal thread.
  • tap

Tap to the next size pipe tap... then bush it down.. I always have the tap and bushings on truck for those handyhack wrecks the oringnal thread.
  • 100YearSteam
    100YearSteam Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2013
    Options
    attempting...

Thanks for the suggestion. Drilled the hole out with a 7/16" bit. Having trouble getting the 1/4" NPT tap I bought today to do much of anything- can't get a bite of thread to even start getting that bushing in. I'm using a ratchet wrench, as the local hardware stores and even the specialty plumbing supply didn't have a tap wrench/handle. Any advice? DIY/homeowner knuckle dragger here with no prior tapping experience.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,711
    Options
    1/4" NPT tap

I bought my 1/4" NPT tap from Mcmaster Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-taps/=p2xsk0

Sounds like you already know what needs to be done.  I also bought a few nickel plated brass 1/4" - 1/8" bushings from them as well.  I've yet to use one though but I'm ready just in case.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Vent tapping repair

I had luck with putting in a brass close nipple, and brass coupling, then screwing in the vent. I did chase the threads in the cast iron first. --NBC
This discussion has been closed.