Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hartford loop question

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,954
Good evening to all. Is there any functional benefit to connecting the equalizer and the Hartford loop? In my mind there are two drawbacks to the conventional Hartford loop connection. The first is that the piping between the loop and the boiler is unprotected. The second potential drawback is that steam could potentially leave the boiler from the return tapping and go up the equalizer into the header. This would obviously cause all sorts of problems. Wouldn't the best option be to make the actual loop at the return tapping of the boiler. The equalizer would be connected a bit further away,directly into the wet return. The Hartford loop would double as a sort of heat trap. Any steam bubbles leaving the boiler would get trapped at the top of the loop. I dont think that it is possible for steam bubbles to go downwards in water. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

Aaron

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    Ease of installation

Another benefit would be the ease of installation. The above mentioned setup gives more installation options, very helpful when there is limited space or give in pipes.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    edited October 2013
    New piping arrangement

How about posting some diagrams of your new return piping plan.

I do think some changes in piping could be a "skimming trap" which would alleviate the many (though sometimes pleasant) hours needed to thoroughly clean the boiler.--NBC
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Configuration

Come out of the boiler return tapping with a short nipple.Elbow pointed up. Vertical Nipple. Elbow between 2 and 4 inches below normal water line. Close horizontal nipple. Elbow pointed down. Vertical nipple. Elbow at level of wet return. Tee in wet return,connected to equalizer. Basicly, hartford loop is up against the boiler and equalizer is connected to wet return.
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Possible Concerns

Hi- First of all I need to mention that I’m homeowner and not a steam pro, so my experiences are based on piping and not working with steam.

I can see a few potential problems with the proposed piping.

1. Wouldn’t the steam in the Equalizer pipe be more likely to collapse when it comes in contact with the cooler water in the Wet Return ? (much cooler than the boiler water in the standard equalizer pipe)

2. The proposed piping configuration defeats the boiler water retention safety provided by the present piping. The proposed piping would make a perfect syphon and empty the boiler completely in the case of a leak in the wet return (think syphoning gas out of car gas tank)

Just my 2 cents worth.

- Rod
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    Hartford loop

Thank you for you response ,Rod(homeowner or not,you do have a rather impressive understanding of steam).

1. I am not really proposing to move the equalizer. I am proposing to move the loop part of the Hartford loop. The equalizer will stay put. In many installs, the equalizer is a "good" distance from the boiler anyway. Also, I am not sure that I understand the issue with the steam condensing. The steam will always condense when it hits the water in the return. Also, I am not quite sure that there is steam in the equalizer. How would steam get from the header into the equalizer if the equalizer is unvented? The way i understand it is that the pressurized steam in the header will pressurize the air in the unvented part of the header and the equalizer and that in return will pressurize the wet return and keep water from being pushed out of the boiler.

Got to run. Will try to thing about point number two and respond.

Thanks!
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Dan's books

According to Dan's books,

There is always steam in the equalizer much of which bubbles out of the return.  It causes no harm.  This is also why you need a close connection at the loop because it risks hammering otherwise.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.