Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Picture from a Lochinvar WHN-55 installation

2»

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    As far as

The combustion test. If you don't test you don't know whether it is running in specified manufacturers parameters. It may run, but are you getting the most efficiency the unit is capable of. With out a combustion test you simply don't know.
  • smihaila
    smihaila Member Posts: 93
    Right

and we don't like to live with this type of uncertainty.

It's surprising also to know that the professional heating & ac company which did the previous job (Rinnai tankless water heater plus coupling of kitchen gas range) didn't seem to perform any combustion test on the Rinnai. I recall they were doing only static + dynamic gas pressure tests. Very surprising, for a company who's being in demand for many industrial/commercial projects...

Perhaps if I contract the service of a company who's specializing in Lochinvar yearly maintenance, they could do also the combustion, part of the service? Or, could these analyzers be rented from somewhere?

Thank you.
  • Eastman
    Eastman Member Posts: 927
    edited October 2013
    Rent a combustion analyzer that comes with

a boiler man.  What you have achieved is a tremendous accomplishment  --pat yourself on the back.  But now is really the time to step down and get a professional out to your place that is familiar with that particular system.  I would think an inspection of this nature shouldn't be a major expense, and it's an excellent chance to establish a relationship with a heating company that you will have to rely on to troubleshoot any possible future equipment failures.  Also, I should remind any interested readers that I am not a boiler man, and my advice does not stem from professional hydronics and gas combustion experience.  Hence, I hope it's understandable that I really don't know how Lochinvar calibrates their equipment.

Now that you've dealt with the ecobee thermostat for awhile.  Do you have an idea of how it manages heating cycles?  Do you set the cycle length?
  • BigRob
    BigRob Member Posts: 322
    Sweet setup

Was researching the whn55 when I saw this.
  • smihaila
    smihaila Member Posts: 93
    edited March 2014
    Good advice

Greetings from Colorado, United States

Yes, we should use the services of an HVAC company specializing in Lochinvar, for regular maintenance and tune up.

As far as the EcoBee smart thermostat is concerned, it seems to have some sort of proportional-derivative (i.e. anticipative) logic, which can be enabled via a feature named "smart heat recovery". It's not based on a fixed/customizable cycle, but it will figure out instead the heat loss speed or how much time it takes the boiler to increase the heat in the reference room by a certain fraction of temp degree.

You can configure the precision of such 'hysteresis' to as low as 0.1 Celsius degree. It's also having a setting to guarantee a "fire/on" command for at least xyz minutes.

Seems to be working fine, no complaints. I have enabled the ramping setting in the Lochinvar, to use a 30-40-60-70-80 modulation pattern, with the final/longest stage capped at 80.

I have also applied polyurethane sprayed foam insulation (R24, closed cell, medium density) in the garage - for the path where the copper pipings are traversing (coming from basement and going to the master bedroom which is exactly above the garage). We have also built a "bulk heading" around them. I could easily notice a big thermal improvement in the master bedroom and now I'm no longer afraid of piping going bust during the Canadian harsh winters (this winter was quite extreme - my wife told me).

Heh, but now the plan is to relocate to US, so we are in preparations to sell the house. Ironic, isn't it? And I've worked so hard with my father, with our own hands to make this project come alive. Few Canadian people will appreciate what we have done, and the house will be a hard sell (cause most of it inside and outside is European and not too many understand this - and Canadians in particular vote with their money un-wisely).

Thank you.