Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help With Radiators

Airflow
Airflow Member Posts: 1
We have recently restored a 1926 Tudor home, I have 22 radiators on 3 floors and had t them taken out to be striped and painted.  All of them went back in with out a problem with the exception of 3 where we have new tile. They are to high and am looking for suggestions on how to remedy this issue. One contractor wants to shorten the legs        ( not sure I want to do this). They roughly between 1/2 to 1 inch short. This is also a 2 pipe stem system.

Thanks,

Comments

• steamfitter
    steamfitter Member Posts: 156
    rads too high

There are fittings called " extension couplings" that may give you the height that you need. You would have to very carefully remove the radiator valves and traps and add these couplings( which are nothing but a coupling that is male X female as opposed to the standard female X female couplings) before re-installing the valvea and traps.

It is important to consider the branch piping below and access to them in case a problem should occur and re-piping has to be done.

I would be careful in cutting rad legs as cast iron can break and you may end up replacing a radiator. If ext. couplings don't give you the right fit I would consider standard couplings with close nipples and shimming up the radiator to the new height.

Hope this helps!
  • MikeJ
    MikeJ Member Posts: 103
    also know as

pipe extensions,
This discussion has been closed.