Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Operation Question

Options
Just a quick update, my new main vents went in and they hiss ever so slightly upon fire up. But then the boilder short cycles in 10 mins. to the issue is not pressure. However the sight glass is filthy and crud drips from the top.

So my question is this. when system starts and the air is pushed out the main vents, does water in the wet return push up to the equalizer and back into the boiler. or is water that condensates from the header get gravity fed back into the boiler?  not sure where and how the dirt gets in and to the top of the boiler water line.

I call my installer and he is coming over to flush the system to try and remove the sediment in the system. Thanks.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Skim

The boiler probably needs to be skimmed to remove oils from the boiler caused by the piping being messed with. It's normal for a boiler to have somewhat rusty water but what your experiencing sounds like oil on the surface of the boiler water.

What pressure is the boiler running at when it's in the middle of a steam session.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Liftforward
    Liftforward Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Cleaning will hopefully help

Can't really tell what pressure, the 0-30 psi gage never really moves.. which is good. Originally my short cycling was probably pressure and vent related, but now I think your right and the dirt is somehow causing the short cycle??

I will see what happens when the unit is flushed. I will see what it will take to  attache a skim port/valve.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Gauge rarely moves

That could be good in the case of a perfectly sized boiler, or it could be bad, in the case of a non-functioning gauge.

When a new boiler arrives at the job site, several extras are included at no extra charge:

A pressuretrol (we've heard enough comments already about their inaccuracies .

A 0-30 psi gauge, probably selected by the same bean-counters at the factory!!--NBC
  • gcp13
    gcp13 Member Posts: 122
    Options
    Short cycling

many deep discussions about dirty water

The surface of the water should be kept clean by skimming

But the first thing to do is find out what is shutting the boiler off,

Low water cut off, presuretrol or thermostat

Then correct the problem

As far as the gauge you can't trust any gauge

Especially if it screws directly into boiler

Probably went bad in the first week